CELTIC FC Foundation’s 2016 Christmas Appeal is gaining momentum and we now continue our spotlight series on this year’s beneficiaries, as we look at the work of The Wayside Club.
Established in the 1930s, The Wayside Club in Glasgow’s Midland Street provides a refuge for people affected by homelessness or social exclusion. They offer hot food and drinks in a warm, open and non-judgemental environment, as well as providing access to showering facilities and referrals to emergency accommodation and local support.
Tom Boyd senior, volunteer at The Wayside and father of the Celtic legend, underlined the need for assistance and the impact of Christmas Appeal support.
Tom said: “We provide a warm, safe refuge for vulnerable individuals who are suffering from homelessness, addiction and living in chaotic and uncertain circumstances.
“The support provided by Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal last year made a huge difference to our service as we were able to enhance the provision on offer to include not only hot meals, but also clothing and haircuts, the things that most of us take for granted.
“We rely entirely on donations and Celtic FC Foundation’s commitment to us again this year will provide a lifeline and have a genuine impact on the lives of those we support.
“God bless every single person who supports the Foundation’s Christmas Appeal.”
The Wayside Club is just one of the charities we will be supporting through this year’s Christmas Appeal and those confirmed so far include Loaves and Fishes, Glasgow City Mission and the Scottish Refugee Council.
In addition, we want to help at least 250 local families facing poverty, to provide a meal on the table and gifts for the kids. We want to bring the magic of Christmas to those homes. We are also looking to help vulnerable local pensioners to ease the financial burden at a challenging time of year.
For the first time, we are proud to confirm a development of the Christmas Appeal in 2016 as we look to support charities in London, Newcastle, Dublin, Belfast, Oban, Greenock, Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Ayrshire.
The generosity and compassion of the Celtic Family is unsurpassed, and Celtic FC Foundation is requesting your support once again for an initiative which proudly follows in the footsteps of Brother Walfrid, providing comfort to those who need it most.
So together, let’s raise more than the roof this Christmas.
You can get behind the Appeal in the following ways:
- Donate by Text – text ‘CELT07’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70070
- Donate Online – www.celticfcfoundation.com
- Donate via Paypal – www.celticfcfoundation.com
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow, G40 3RE.
- Come along to the Ghirls for Good ladies event on Saturday, December 3 – call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]
- Support our matchday bucket collection on Saturday, December 17 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]
- Give as you Live via your Christmas Shopping – www.celticfcfoundation.com
Thank you for your wonderful support.