IT was on this day, 131 years ago, that Celtic Football Club was formally constituted in St Mary’s Church Hall in East Rose Street, Calton. As we mark the anniversary of the formation of our club, Celtic FC Foundation is delighted to launch its 2018 Christmas Appeal.
The Appeal lies at the very heart of why our club was formed and honours the founding principles which were set out that day in 1887, as we aim to continue to help those in our community who are most in need.
Once again, the club has provided fantastic backing to the Appeal by kicking it off with a wonderful donation of £10,000.
Through the Appeal, we want to help hundreds of local families who are facing poverty. We want to give them the kind of Christmas that we all take for granted. With lots of food on the table and gifts for the kids. Making sure Santa pays a visit on Christmas Eve is a massive priority for all of us.
We are also looking to support a number of local pensioners, by lending a hand at a difficult time of year, as well as a host of other local charities that support children, the homeless, women and children living in refuge, refugees and those facing other challenges.
The Celtic Family is renowned for its generosity and compassion and we are requesting your support once again, to get behind this year’s Christmas Appeal and help us to provide comfort to those in our communities.
As well as encouraging donations, Celtic FC Foundation will also be repeating a host of fundraising events and initiatives, as part of the Appeal. These include:
– Founding Fathers’ Fast which will take place today, Tuesday, November 6.
– Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow, on Saturday, November 17 and the Celtic Sleep Out, London, on Friday, November 23.
– Ghirls for Good festive extravaganza on Saturday, December 1.
– Our annual Christmas Appeal matchday bucket collection at the SPFL Kilmarnock match on Saturday, December 8.
– Light Up the Clover event at the FC Salzburg UEFA Europa League match on Thursday, December 13.
This year’s Appeal will also see the introduction of a brand new initiative, with our ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’, as supporters have the opportunity to receive a colourful, customised letter for their child – look out for further details coming soon, all the way from the North Pole!
Finally, we will be hosting another eBay Christmas Appeal charity auction in December, and full details will be provided shortly.
Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “Celtic is delighted to kick-off this year’s Christmas Appeal with a £10,000 donation. The Club and Foundation are totally committed to helping people in real need and at a difficult time of the year for so many, we hope that through our work we can bring some Christmas cheer to those who really need and deserve our support.
“Our Christmas Appeal will again have a huge impact across a wide spectrum of families and fantastic community groups and we know will make such a positive difference to the lives of thousands of people, once again honouring the charitable ambitions of the club’s great founders.”
Celtic FC Foundation Chief Executive, Tony Hamilton, added: “Through our Christmas Appeal we aim to follow in the footsteps of our Founding Fathers, by providing support to those who need it most. For many people, the struggle today is just as real as it was in 1887.
“Thanks to the generosity of the Celtic support, last year’s Appeal allowed us to help more people than ever, as we were able to provide support not only to families and charities in Glasgow, but also other parts of the UK and Ireland, as well as overseas.
“We hope to achieve this once again through this year’s Appeal and Celtic supporters across the world and those who are simply drawn to the Celtic story play an integral role in helping us to achieve this.
“There are a number of ways in which people can get involved and I would to thank everyone in advance who is able to help, for your valuable contributions. These will make a huge difference, to so many people’s lives.”
So together, we can make dreams come true this Christmas. Here is a reminder of the incredible difference you made in 2017.
To get behind the Christmas Appeal 2018, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELT07’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70070
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via Paypal – www.celticfcfoundation.com
4. Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
5. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow, G40 3RE.
6. Give as you Live via your Christmas Shopping – www.celticfcfoundation.com
7. Take part in the Founding Fathers’ Fast today, November 6 and donate £5 through one of the outlets above.
8. Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow on Saturday, November 17 – call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
9. Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Friday, November 23 – call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
10. Come along to the Ghirls for Good on Saturday, December 1 – call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
11. Support our matchday bucket collection on Saturday, December 8 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
12. Contribute via our Christmas Appeal eBay Auction, of which all proceeds will be donated to the Appeal – further details to follow.
13. Take part in our Light up the Clover event on Thursday, December 13 – further details to follow.
14. Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’– further details to follow.