ON Sunday, November 6, 1887 a group of local volunteers gathered in the church hall of St Mary´s in the Calton, to discuss the setting up of a new football club in the East End of Glasgow. Led by an Irish Marist, Brother Walfrid, Celtic Football Club was formed for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed.
Now, 129 years on, that same parish church will host Celtic Football Club, Celtic Graves Society and Celtic FC Foundation in a celebratory Mass at 3pm.
This has now become an annual event, to commemorate our club’s proud and spectacular history. The Mass will be conducted by Parish Priest, Father Tom White,.
The congregation will also hear from Celtic FC Foundation Chief Executive, Tony Hamilton about our attempts to follow in Brother Walfrid’s footsteps, with an emphasis on our current Christmas Appeal.
Following the Mass, Father White has very kindly invited guests to stay on for a cup of tea and a blether.
It’s sure to be an afternoon filled with emotion and a huge sense of pride so we encourage supporters of all faiths and none to come along and share it with us.
Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal aims to help around 250 local families facing poverty and to provide a meal on the table and gifts for the kids. We want to bring the magic of Christmas to those homes, something they would not otherwise experience.
We are also looking to help vulnerable local pensioners to ease the financial burden at a challenging time of year plus a host of other local charities who support those experiencing homelessness or other disadvantage.
To get behind the Christmas Appeal 2016, you can:
- Donate by Text – text ‘CELT07’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70070
- Donate Online – www.celticfcfoundation.com
- Donate via Paypal – www.celticfcfoundation.com
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow, G40 3RE.
- Give as you Live via your Christmas Shopping – www.celticfcfoundation.com
- Take part in the Founding Fathers’ Fast on Sunday, November 6 and donate £5 through one of the outlets above.
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out on Saturday, November 12 –call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]
- Come along to the Ghirls for Good ladies event on Saturday, December 3 – call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]
Support our matchday bucket collection on Saturday, December 17 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]