With Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal now well underway, we start to shine a light on some of those who will benefit as a result of your incredible generosity.
We hope this year’s Appeal will bring comfort, and light up the lives of many who would otherwise struggle over the festive period.
This includes local families facing poverty, so they can enjoy the type of Christmas that many of us take for granted. As well as pensioners, women and children in refuge, those who are homeless, refugees and a host of others experiencing hardship.
Today, we focus on our friends from the homeless community.
Among those we are aiming to support this year, are a host of organisations that provide much needed assistance – Elpis Centre, Glasgow City Mission, Help the Homeless, Homeless at Christmas, Simon Community Scotland, The Invisibles and The Wayside Club.
These amazing charities collectively provide a vital range of services to make life that little bit more comfortable for those experiencing or facing homelessness in Glasgow and beyond, including the provision of hot food and drinks, warm clothing, toiletries and essentials and temporary accommodation, as well as advocacy and advice.
As weather conditions worsen during the winter period, living on the streets becomes even more dangerous for those who are facing homelessness, while the services provided by many of the charities who offer their support can become extremely stretched.
Thanks to the magnificent compassion of the Celtic support in the past, Celtic FC Foundation assisted the crucial work of these organisations, from the festive period and lasting long into the new year.
Last weekend, Celtic FC Foundation – along with Club Ambassador, Tom Boyd – joined both The Wayside Club and The Invisibles, in Glasgow’s City Centre. Tom, whose late father, Tom Boyd Senior, volunteered at The Wayside Club for many years supporting those in need, spoke passionately about the amazing work both charities do and their long standing relationships with the Foundation.
We also heard from some of the other beneficiaries working with those impacted by homelessness on the difference that previous support from the Foundation’s Christmas Appeal has made, and will make this year.
Joy Andrew, of Glasgow City Mission, said: “We’re so grateful for the support we receive from the Foundation’s Christmas Appeal, thank you to everyone who contributes. This support goes towards food costs at our drop-in which runs every week day.
“We serve a nutritious lunch and dinner and these meal times are often our first point of contact with people who have hit a crisis point in their life. Your support enables us to continue to let guests know they are valued, build community, and signpost guests to our other services. Thanks again.”
Helen McMillan, of Help the Homeless, spoke of the difference that the Appeal will make to the people who use their service: “Help the Homeless Glasgow are proud to be a beneficiary of Celtic FC Foundation’s annual Christmas Appeal. In previous years, the donations given to us have been used to provide Christmas dinners to those people experiencing homelessness, who were accommodated in bed and breakfasts and temporary accommodation services, to ensure as many people as possible, who would not otherwise have had the opportunity, can enjoy a decent Christmas dinner and receive a gift.
“Celtic FC Foundation not only help us to provide support with food over the Christmas period but also social inclusion, by allowing us to organise a sit down meal for those who do not have family to visit. This year will be no different, as well as this, we will be supporting many families living in temporary accommodation this Christmas, by giving each child a toy to open and food for their Christmas dinner, in the hope that it puts a wee bit of festive cheer into their day, regardless of their housing situation. Without the Foundation and their supporters, none of this would be possible and we cannot thank you all enough for the support over the years.”
This weekend, over 160 supporters will brave the cold conditions in support of our Christmas Appeal, with Sleep Out events at Celtic Park in Derry on Friday night and Paradise on Saturday.
We will share details on some of our Irish beneficiaries in the coming days. Following Saturday’s Sleep Out event in Glasgow, participants will also have an opportunity to donate their sleeping bags and ground mats to The Invisibles and The Wayside Club.
You can read more about those which will benefit from your support, via our Christmas Appeal webpage HERE.
The generosity and compassion of the Celtic support is truly unsurpassed and we simply cannot make a difference to the lives of so many without you.
Together, we can Light Up Someone’s Christmas this festive season.
To get behind this year’s Christmas Appeal, you can:
- Donate online HERE
- Donate via PayPal HERE
- Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate by text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
- Make a donation and hang an item on our Virtual Christmas Tree HERE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping in Celtic stores or online by purchasing an item from ‘Walfrid’s Wishlist’ HERE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live HERE
- Contribute via our Christmas Appeal Logo Shirt Auction which is now live and will close on Saturday, November 18 HERE
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, Derry on Friday, November 17 HERE
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow on Saturday, November 18 HERE
- Enter our Christmas Appeal Prize Draw, which will kick-off on Monday, November 20 – further details to follow.
- Come along to the Ghirls for Good event on Friday, November 24 HERE
- Support our Christmas Appeal Bucket Collection on Saturday, November 25 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4321 or email [email protected]
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Saturday, December 2 HERE
- Sign up for the Santa Stroll 1 Mile or 5K on Sunday, December 17 HERE
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.