CELTIC FC Foundation’s sixth annual Golf Day had been set to take place at Renfrew Golf Club back in June. However, like so many other events planned for 2020, the COVID-19 restrictions made that simply impossible.
But that hasn’t stopped our supporters getting out on the course and raising funds, as some of our regular Golf Day teams opted to play a round at their local clubs, while making a donation to Celtic FC Foundation.
With a number of teams already providing their support, we offered the remainder of our Golf Day teams the opportunity to engage in a Virtual Golf Open, between the dates of September 24 and October 12. The response was tremendous, with many familiar faces taking part remotely and a variety of new teams joining in, from as far afield as Spain, Sweden and even Australia.
A total of 27 teams participated in our first ever Virtual Golf Open, each contributing £80 per team to play.
Our annual Golf Day sponsors, Frux Group, were also keen to continue their support, and generously provided a fourball at the stunning Dumbarnie Links for the team which posted the lowest score.
The eventual winners were ’18 In-A-Row’, who shot a fantastic score of 14.2 under par at Aberdour Golf Club. Congratulations Bhoys!
Further funds were also raised via a virtual raffle, exclusively available to those taking part in the Open. Frux Group kindly provided another Dumbarnie fourball for this, which was won by Swedish based team, ‘Absent Friends’.
A fantastic total in excess of £4,000 was raised by our golf teams and proceeds will support our Football for Good Fund, which is providing food and essentials to those most in need within our communities.
Celtic FC Foundation Chief Executive, Tony Hamilton said: “We really missed our annual Golf Day at Renfrew, which is always a huge highlight in our fundraising calendar, but this Virtual Golf Open has been a wonderful success.
“It has been tremendous to see so many of our Golf Day regulars getting involved, as well as many new teams offering their support. A huge thanks to all involved and congratulations to our winners ’18 In-A-Row’, who have been great supporters of our event over the years. Thanks also to our Golf Day sponsors Frux for their phenomenal backing yet again.”
Since the launch of the Football for Good Fund, we have now raised £900K to help provide food and essentials to those most in need. Throughout the coming months, we aim to continue to ensure that food parcels, basic necessities, hot meals and other critical interventions are available to the growing number of people affected by the ruthlessness of COVID-19.
But we can’t do it alone.
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can also:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Get active and join The Walfrid Wander HERE
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
10. Get involved in our unique #9IAR challenge HERE
11. Provide support through your online shopping via Give as you Live and Amazon Smile
12. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
13. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.