As Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal steadily builds momentum, we continue our spotlight series uncovering the vital work of organisations that we hope to support this winter. And this time, we turn our attention to one of the Foundation’s long-standing Christmas Appeal partners, Simon Community Scotland.
Working to combat the causes and effects of homelessness across the country, Simon Community Scotland provides relief and respite for vulnerable individuals most at-risk from the perilous conditions of a life on the streets.
In previous years, Celtic FC Foundation has traditionally provided a Christmas carvery lunch for Simon Community Scotland’s service users. However, this year, owing to complications arising from the COVID-19 crisis, this will not be possible – with the loss felt by many.
Speaking on the Foundation’s rich history of support through the Christmas Appeal, Simon Community Scotland’s Chief Executive, Lorraine McGrath, said:
“Celtic FC Foundation has supported Simon Community Scotland for over 20 years, bringing some Christmas cheer to the lives of people experiencing the most extreme impacts of homelessness – the Christmas lunch hosted in the Kerrydale Suite has become the key date in the diary for everyone we support.”
Like several organisations this year, following the global pandemic, Simon Community Scotland has struggled in the wake of difficult circumstances. Lorraine underlined the enormity of the challenge facing the organisation in 2020, saying: “The people we support are already at massively increased risk of poor health and early death, the last eight months at Simon Community Scotland has more than ever focused our efforts on keeping people safe and well.”
As Christmas approaches, the drop in temperatures and widespread strain on organisational resources presents an increased risk to the homeless community. Lorraine added: “The winter always brings extra risks and challenges for people experiencing homelessness, particularly for those who find themselves sleeping rough, the additional health risks of a pandemic, lockdown restrictions, and so few services being able to operate, just adds to that misery and harm.”
With your support, Celtic FC Foundation is hoping we can make a difference for those who need it most this Christmas, and Lorraine re-affirmed the value of supporters’ generosity, adding:
“We are beyond grateful that Celtic FC Foundation and their supporters really understand the importance of people feeling valued, feeling that they matter – despite finding themselves in the worst place of their lives.”
Through the Appeal, we want to help hundreds of local families, giving them the kind of Christmas most of us take for granted. With lots of food on the table and gifts for the kids. Making sure Santa pays a visit on Christmas Eve, despite COVID-19.
We also want to support pensioners on our doorstep, by lending a hand at a difficult time of year. Local charities need our help too. We can make a massive difference to the lives of children, the homeless, refugees and those living in refuge or facing other challenges.
The generosity and compassion of the Celtic Family is truly unrivalled and once again, we are looking for your support, to get behind this Christmas Appeal phase of the Football for Good Fund.
We are a Club like no other, and together, we can continue to bring comfort to those who need it most.
To get behind the Appeal, you can:
- Donate online HERE
- Donate via PayPal HERE
- Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate by text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
- Contribute to our Virtual Toy Drive HERE
- Sign up for our Stay Up for the Champions sponsored event on Friday, December 4 / Saturday, December 5 HERE
- Sign up for our Boogie for Good sponsored event on Friday, December 11 HERE
- Purchase your personalised ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’ HERE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and AmazonSmile HERE
- Purchase your copy of the stunning Gerard Burns Glittering Prize, the perfect Christmas Gift HERE
- Contribute via our Christmas Appeal eBay auction, featuring shirts from the AC Milan v Celtic match on Thursday, December 3 (with Celtic FC Foundation branding) and Celtic v St Johnstone on Sunday, December 6 (with Christmas Appeal branding). The auction will run from Monday, December 7 – Saturday, December 12.
- Contribute via our Virtual Bucket Collection on Sunday, December 6.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message