THE Football for Good Fund beneficiary series continues today, as we focus on the work of Glasgow East Women’s Aid (GEWA), who received a £5,000 donation to support their work.
GEWA provide support and assistance to families who live or have lived with the traumatic effects of domestic abuse, to ensure they remain safe within their environments.
Through their services, the organisation provides initial intervention and offers a range of advice on subjects such as services, legal rights, housing issues and benefits.
GEWA also provide one-to-one counselling and run support groups to help improve the lives and wellbeing of the women and young people whom they work with, by assisting them to recover from their experiences of abuse.
Project and Development Officer at GEWA, Anne Kelly spoke of the difficulties faced by families affected by domestic abuse during the COVID-19 crisis and expressed her thanks for Celtic FC Foundation’s support.
She said: “It has been very difficult, obviously because of the nature of what we do and the highly sensitive way that we have to work.
“Lots of women have been living with their abusers, so we have to be very careful. It’s been very difficult to find time to make telephone contact with women but we’ve found ways round that.
“Our crisis system has operated daily over the same timescales throughout so it’s been difficult but not insurmountable.
“The support from the Foundation has been tremendous and permitted us to purchase vouchers from supermarkets and stock up the shelves with food for anybody that needed food parcels.
“At Glasgow East Women’s Aid, we can’t thank Celtic FC Foundation enough for what they’ve done for us over the years. It’s hard to put it into words just what the support means for our women and families.”
Since the launch of the Fund and throughout the next six months or so, the Foundation have ensured and will continue to ensure food parcels, basic necessities, hot meals and other critical interventions are available to the growing number of people affected by the ruthlessness of COVID-19.
But we can’t do it alone.
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Get involved in our unique #9IAR challenge HERE
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
11. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
12. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.