As we look ahead to our Donegal Sleep Out event, Celtic FC Foundation are delighted to confirm that we’ll be joined on the night by legendary Gaelic footballer, Manager and former Celtic coach, Jim McGuinness.
And there’s still time to register HERE, as we aim to Share the Magic this Christmas, for those most in need in our communities.
McGuinness, who won the coveted All-Ireland Senior Football Championship with County Donegal as both player and manager, also spent close to five years working with Celtic in consultancy and coaching roles.
He spoke ahead of the Sleep Out about his time with the Club, the strong links between Celtic and the county of Donegal and the importance of this fundraising event, saying: “I have so many wonderful memories of my time working with Celtic, from big European nights such as that famous Barcelona victory, to matches against Rangers at Celtic Park but I have to say just being there within the Club every day for those years was a real privilege.
“Being part of a staff that was trying to compete at every level, watching those elite players in training every day, working with younger players within the Academy, all great memories. My fondest memories, though, were simply going to the games with my two young sons. That was magic!
‘The connection between Celtic Football Club and Donegal is something that runs very deep and is incredibly important.’
“It goes back centuries, when people from this part of the world decided that they had to emigrate and one of the first destinations for those folk was the west of Scotland.
“Thus, Celtic was not only their team, it was also home away from home for those people. So in that sense, the two things for many people from this area cannot be separated. That sense of place and identity is very powerful and is the reason why the connection is so strong.
“It will be fantastic to have the Foundation here in Donegal for the Sleep Out event. This charitable ethos is one of the most important aspects of Celtic Football Club, the fact that the very existence of the Club was borne out of charity.
‘I think it’s incredibly important that this piece of the Club’s history is protected and nurtured for future generations of supporters.’
“As Celtic supporters, we should take great pride in the fact that the Club was formed to cater for and protect the most vulnerable in society. Unfortunately this mission is still a very real one today and the Foundation are doing some incredible work to support those who need their help most, including communities here in Ireland.
“I am really looking forward to getting along to the event and meeting everyone that has decided to ‘Sleep Out’ in the name of this great cause. I think it is a fantastic concept and look forward to doing a Q&A session with all the participants, before everyone settles down for the night.”
- The Donegal Sleep Out will take place on Saturday, December 3 at Na Méilte (The Banks) in Mullach Dearg, which is located in the Rosses area of Donegal and is home to the local GAA club Naomh Muire Íochtar Na Rosann.
- Sleep Out participants will spend the night – from 10.00pm to 6.00am – battling the elements outdoors, all for a wonderful cause.
- Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. The non-refundable registration fee is £30/€35 per person. Each participant is tasked with raising a minimum of £135/€150 (after the entry fee) to support this year’s Christmas Appeal.
- Due to anticipated severe weather conditions, this event will be exceptionally challenging, both mentally and physically. Therefore, participants must be aged 18+ and be in an appropriate physical condition to take part.
- Celtic FC Foundation will provide a ground mat and foil sheet/blanket but participants are required to bring the appropriate equipment and wear relevant clothing and footwear.
Funds raised will help bring relief this festive season to those struggling at an especially challenging time of year.
The primary focus for monies raised through this Donegal event will be to provide support directly in Ireland, including to those within the Creeslough community.
The generosity and compassion of the Celtic support is truly unsurpassed and we simply cannot make a difference to the lives of so many without you.
Together, we can Share the Magic this Christmas.
To get behind this year’s Christmas Appeal, you can:
- Donate online HERE
- Donate via PayPal HERE
- Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate by text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping in Celtic stores or online by purchasing an item from ‘Walfrid’s Wishlist’ HERE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and AmazonSmile HERE
- Sign up for the Santa Stroll 1 Mile or 5K on Saturday, December 10 HERE
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Saturday, December 10 HERE
- Purchase our brand new T-shirt– further details to follow.
- Enter our new Christmas Appeal Prize Draw – further details to follow.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message