AS we prepare to host our fifth annual Celtic Sleep Out tonight, we continue our spotlight series highlighting the partners who will benefit from your generosity this Christmas, by taking a closer look at the work of Glasgow-based voluntary organisation, The Invisibles.
The Invisibles began five years ago with the aim of offering practical support to those living on the streets, by providing a variety of essential items such as sleeping bags, clothing, footwear and toiletries.
Sadly, the need for the organisation’s service has continued to grow, resulting in the introduction of a new outreach programme, which sees volunteers hit the streets, armed with trolleys full of essentials to be handed out to those in desperate need.
While some of these items are gathered through public donations, such is the demand, that any funds donated to the organisation go directly towards purchasing new items.
Along with The Wayside Club, The Invisibles will be provided with any Sleeping bags and mats which are donated at the end of tonight’s Sleep Out.
Check out the video highlighting some of the incredible work done through The Invisibles outreach programme.
Paul Connolly, volunteer with The Invisibles, spoke about the difficulties posed to those facing homelessness, at this time of year. He said: “We’re not even fully into winter yet and we’ve come across people in the last few weeks who have been wet, freezing cold and in desperate need of a change of clothes.
“There are times when we need to call in the help of other teams to get them off the streets or times when we need to call the emergency services because they are in such a bad way.”
Founder of The Invisibles, Dermot Hill will once again be taking part in the Sleep Out event and he spoke of his gratitude for the continued support from Celtic FC Foundation, saying: “The backing we receive through the Foundation’s Christmas Appeal plays a vital role in ensuring that we stay well stocked throughout this very difficult period.
“We are completely reliant on donations like this to ensure that we can continue to offer our service and we simply could not operate without that support.
“I would like to thank all the Celtic fans and I would urge you to get involved in Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal.”
The Invisibles join Loaves and Fishes as this year’s Christmas Appeal beneficiaries announced thus far.
Our 2019 Christmas Appeal aims to honour the founding principles set out when the club was formed back in 1887, by continuing to help those in our community, who are most in need. We want to help hundreds of local families facing poverty, by giving them the kind of Christmas we all take for granted.
We also want to support pensioners on our doorstep and help out local charities. We can make a massive difference to the lives of children, the homeless, refugees and those living in refuge or facing other challenges.
Christmas is a time to give and share. And the Glasgow Celtic will be there.
To get behind the Christmas Appeal 2019, you can:
- Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate Online
- Donate via PayPal – www.CelticChristmasAppeal.com
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and Amazon Smile – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17086
- Contribute via our general Christmas Appeal eBay auction which will take place between Thursday, December 5 and Tuesday, December 10 – of which all proceeds will be donated to the Appeal.
- Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’– further details to follow.
- Support our Light Up the Clover initiative on Thursday, November 28 or our match-day bucket collection on Sunday, December 15 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17091
- Come along to Ghirls for Good on Friday, November 29 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/16887
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Saturday, November 30. You can register HERE.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.