During the past few months we have all been living in a difficult and uncertain reality. The COVID-19 crisis has left many facing such difficult circumstances and a looming threat of hardship.
In response, Celtic FC Foundation’s entire focus has been redirected to alleviating the evolving complications of the COVID-19 crisis – beginning with the launch of our Football for Good Fund on Friday, March 20. To date we have invested in the region of £600K into this initiative.
Through this Fund, we are committed to helping those most likely to be affected, including low-income families, socially-isolated individuals, the elderly, the unemployed, the homeless, refugees as well as frontline NHS staff.
So far our support has included:
– 55 partner charities/community organisations who are providing vital food and essential supplies to those who need it most in Glasgow and Lanarkshire, Greenock, Oban, Edinburgh, Fife, Isle of Skye, London, Newcastle, Dublin and Belfast
– Two partner charities in New York – Coalition for the Homeless and Children’s Aid – providing food and essentials to vulnerable children and families in the city
– A project supporting approximately 1,600 pupils and families at 12 Glasgow-based schools and nurseries, including family cooking packs and activity boxes which we hope will help to alleviate some of the mental health issues brought on by the financial burdens people are currently facing
– Our partnership initiatives with NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, Cathedral House Hotel and 1051GWR which provided hundreds of hot meals each day for frontline staff at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Gartnavel Hospitals and the Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre
– Our partnership project with Glasgow North East Foodbank offering a free food parcel self-referral service for people living in Glasgow affected by the COVID-19 crisis
– Our partnership project with Glasgow North East Foodbank and the NHS providing food and essentials packages for patients being discharged from hospital
Now we are looking for help to develop and continue this in the coming months from the Celtic Family and beyond.
Since 1888, Celtic Football Club has symbolised the power of football for good. As per the vision of our founding father, Brother Walfrid, the Club began as a fundraising enterprise, using sport as a means to bring people together, harness individual generosity and provide relief for those in poverty – football for good.
However, none of this is possible without the continual generosity of our supporters. Celtic fans are peerless on many fronts, not least in terms of charitable giving, and the Foundation’s successes are the result of collective action from supporters in every corner of the globe.
Since the launch of the Football for Good Fund and throughout the next six months or so, the Foundation has ensured and will continue to ensure food parcels, basic necessities, hot meals and other critical interventions are available to the growing number of people affected by the ruthlessness of COVID-19.
But we can’t do it alone. Following the initial investment by Celtic FC Foundation and a number of donors, we are calling on supporters all over the world to give what they can to help those in communities who are desperately affected by the crisis.
We understand that many are concerned about their financial position at this time, and it is important to say that, while we are now actively appealing for donations, supporters are urged to donate within their means. Any donation – big or small – will go a long way to help those in urgent need of assistance.
And despite empty stadia and social distancing, with your help, we can still use football for good to bring people together to make a difference.
Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We are pleased as a club to have been at the forefront in seeking to help those affected by the crisis we have faced since March of this year. Throughout this period we have assisted so many people in need – the most vulnerable in our society and those on the frontline who are so deserving of our support.
“By investing £600,000 in a range of initiatives we have made a real difference and now we want to continue this work. While we all hope to return to normality as soon as possible, Celtic will be there to help all within our local communities for as long as people need our help and we thank our fans in advance for their support of this Appeal.”
Tony Hamilton, Chief Executive of Celtic FC Foundation, added: “There are many people who will want to help us right now who could actually be doing with help themselves. That’s typical of our supporters.
“There’s so much uncertainty in our communities and we fully appreciate that people who are ordinarily very generous when it comes to Celtic FC Foundation initiatives just won’t be able to assist this time.
“It’s important we reach as many people as possible and the way we’re doing that is through partners who we know and trust, and who share our values. If you can help in any way, however small, we would welcome your donation.”
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Take part in our ‘Green Day’ on Sunday, August 2 – details coming soon!
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
11. Get involved in our unique 9-in-a-row nomination fundraiser – details coming soon!
12. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
13. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.