Down in sleepy Buckinghamshire on Saturday, May 12, Burnham FC’s Gore Stadium was turned green and white as nine local Celtic Supporters’ Clubs, hailing from Harrow, Maidenhead, Reading, Hayes, Swindon, Wimbledon, West London and Yardley, contested the inaugural Jimmy Johnstone six-a-side tournament.
The morning consisted of fixtures evenly contested by two groups, of four and five teams respectively, who then battled through to the final group games, with four CSCs emerging into the semi-finals. London NWCSC (Harrow Bhoys) and Hayes Bhoys were the finalists after two entertaining semi-final clashes.
The Harrow Bhoys of London NWCSC ran out eventual tournament winners, beating Hayes Bhoys in a thrilling penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw in normal time. Congratulations to London NWCSC and also to Macaulay Caulfield of Hayes Bhoys, who was the Golden Boot Winner on the day, with a seven goal tally.
Event organiser Gary Reeves, a member of Martin O`Neill CSC Reading, quoted “To collectively draw together all local Celtic supporters to here in Buckinghamshire was, in truth, an objective of mine and hopefully this tournament can be the dawn of other regular social assemblies of CSCs; for me personally a dream come true.”
Celtic FC Foundation was delighted to be named as one of three charitable beneficiaries of proceeds from the event, alongside Motor Neurone Disease Association and Cancer Research UK, with an incredible total of £1,830 being raised on the day.
The Foundation was extremely proud to support the tournament which proved to be a wonderful tribute to our greatest ever Celt.
The organisers would like to thank the following people, without who the event would not have taken place:
- Jim McGarry (Ramsgate Emerald CSC) for creation of event logo and posters
- Fiona Wheatley and Ferguson Alasdair (Martin O’Neill CSC Reading) for support throughout the process and on the day
- Finbar Foley (Martin O’Neill CSC Reading) for a great job as stadium announcer
- Stuart and Liz Barnett (local youth football) for help with the scoreboard and for being at the ground very early to check the teams in
- AM Print & Copy (Andy & Roxy) for a superb event programme
- Beal Belfast Badges
- John O`Farrell (Celtic Canvas Print)
- Burnham Football Club for venue and facilities hire
- Shirley Reeves for help and support