CELTIC FC Foundation, the Club’s charitable arm, are today delighted to launch the Christmas Appeal phase of our Football for Good Fund (FFGF) and the Club has once again kicked off the campaign with a tremendous donation of £10,000.
Since March 2020, we have set out to help those most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic through the FFGF. The Fund has since risen to over £1.5million, as we have focused on tackling three key issues – assisting those who are facing food and fuel poverty, and providing mental health support to those who need it most in Scotland, Ireland, the wider UK, and overseas.
As the pandemic continues to affect so many, the FFGF remains our immediate focus, with the Christmas Appeal phase beginning today, Saturday, November 6, on the 134th anniversary of the Club’s formation.
Although usually a joyous time for most, this festive period will see many families struggle to provide the basics – like a fridge full of food, fuel costs to heat homes in winter, and gifts for children on Christmas Day.
We want to give hundreds of families in our communities the Christmas they deserve, making sure there’s food on the table and presents under the tree.
We also wish to help pensioners, women and children in refuge, the homeless community and refugees – as well as a whole host of others facing poverty and hardship.
In addition to encouraging donations, the Appeal will also see the return of a host of fundraising events and initiatives, with many impossible in 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions. These include:
- Founding Fathers’ Fast and our first ever Celtic Sleep Out, Sligo, which take place today (November 6).
- Our Letter from Santa initiative, which will be available from Monday, November 8 to Friday, December 10.
- Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow, on Saturday, November 13.
- Ghirls for Good festive extravaganza, sponsored by the Ellen Kane Trust, on Friday, November 26.
- Celtic Sleep Out, London, on Friday, December 3.
- Light up the Clover event at the UEFA Europa League match against Real Betis on Thursday, December 9.
- Our annual Christmas Appeal matchday bucket collection at the Cinch Premiership match against Motherwell on Sunday, December 12.
In addition, we will also be launching a brand new, limited edition Celtic FC Foundation T-shirt, as well as an exciting opportunity for supporters to win a very special prize, in our new Christmas Appeal Prize Draw. Further details are coming soon.
And once again, thanks to the incredible support and generosity of Club sponsors Dafabet and Magners, the Celtic first team will sport our unique Christmas Appeal logo on their Hoops for tomorrow’s match against Dundee. A selection of the shirts will then be signed and made available via an online charity auction from our eBay account from Wednesday, November 10 to Monday, November 15.
Thanks also to Club sponsor, Intelligent Car Leasing, who have very kindly donated their LED advertising allocation again for the entire season, which allows us to share Christmas Appeal news at home matches.
Those attending ‘The Tommy Burns Story’ shows at the Celtic Park’s Kerrydale Suite, running from November 9 – 13, can also support our Appeal by purchasing the event programme, of which 100% of the proceeds are being generously donated. By purchasing a programme, supporters will be entered into a prize draw at each show to win a special replica 84-86 Celtic away shirt, printed with BURNS 10 and signed by a number of Tommy’s close friends and colleagues.
Speaking of the Appeal, Acting Club Chief Executive, Michael Nicholson, said: “We are delighted to kick-off this year’s Foundation Christmas Appeal with a £10,000 donation from the Club. We know what a difficult time of year this can be for so many people and we hope that once again the Foundation Christmas Appeal will be a real success and deliver support across our communities.
“The work of Celtic FC Foundation has been hugely important in helping those in need, particularly through the current pandemic, delivering valuable support to thousands of people.
“Through a huge collective effort between our colleagues, players, supporters and sponsors to support the Foundation, so much has been achieved to make a real and meaningful difference.
“On a day-to-day basis, the Foundation is providing support to people in need. Celtic’s social dimension and community focus will forever be a crucial part of the Club and through the Foundation we will always aim to make a positive difference to the lives of people who need this support, once again honouring the great charitable ambitions of the Club’s founders.”
Celtic FC Foundation Chief Executive, Tony Hamilton, added: “This has been another extremely challenging year for so many people within our communities. While some elements of normality have returned to our lives, challenges such as food and fuel poverty and mental health continue to affect the most vulnerable.
“Christmas simply adds to the burden for many people. The continued need for our support has meant that the Football for Good Fund remains our immediate focus and once again, the Christmas Appeal this year is a vital extension of that.
“The support we have received throughout the FFGF has been truly phenomenal and we simply couldn’t do it without the incredible backing of the Celtic fans and many other individuals and organisations. But we need that support once again, as we look to ease the stress of the festive period on those who need a helping hand, at what should be the most joyous time of the year for us all.
“Thank you for always being there. We are extremely grateful for your continued support.”
Charity, and the generosity and compassion of the Celtic family, will always be our past, present and future – it’s our heritage, our responsibility, our lifeblood. Once again, we are looking for your support, to get behind this Christmas Appeal phase of the FFGF.
We are a Club like no other, and together, we can brighten many lives this December.
HERE is a reminder of the incredible difference you made in 2020.
To get behind this year’s Christmas Appeal phase of the FFGF, you can:
- Donate by text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate online HERE
- Donate via PayPal HERE
- Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and AmazonSmile HERE
- Take part in today’s Founding Fathers’ Fast and donate £5 through one of the outlets above. Get involved HERE
- Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’– further details to follow.
- Purchase a programme if attending ‘The Tommy Burns Story’ shows from Tuesday, November 9 to Saturday, November 13
- Contribute via our Christmas Appeal Logo Shirt Auction from Wednesday, November 10 to Monday, November 15 – further details to follow
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow on Saturday, November 13 HERE
- Come along to the Ghirls for Good on Friday, November 26 HERE
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Friday, December 3 HERE
- Support our Light Up the Clover initiative on Thursday, December 9 or matchday bucket collection on Sunday, December 12 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
- Purchase our brand new T-shirt or enter our new Christmas Appeal Prize Draw – further details to follow.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.