Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal beneficiary series continues today, as our attention turns to St. Roch’s FC Foundation, the charitable arm of St. Roch’s Junior Football Club.
St Roch’s FC are a community-based club in the North East of Glasgow, servicing socially deprived areas of the city, such as the Garngad, Germiston, Provanmill and Blackhill.
The Club also have strong links to Celtic Football Club, particularly through the Garngad side’s most celebrated figure and Celtic’s all-time top scorer, James McGrory, after whom their stadium is named.
St. Roch’s have had a profound impact on the local communities, through the wonderful work of their Foundation.
Support received in the past from Celtic FC Foundation, has allowed St. Roch’s FC Foundation to host Christmas lunches for local pensioners, as well those who are affected by homelessness.
This year, any donation received through the 2019 Christmas Appeal will be put towards a new initiative, as St Roch’s aim to treat guests to a pantomime and a meal in Glasgow’s city centre, before heading back to James McGrory Park to round off a wonderful day.
Stephen Mullen of St. Roch’s spoke of just how invaluable the support received from Celtic FC Foundation has been, saying: “We are absolutely delighted to be a beneficiary of Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal. The support makes a massive difference to the people we engage with, particularly at Christmas time.
“An example of this was a gentleman who attended our Christmas meal last year. He is in his 40s and has additional needs and was experiencing real loneliness. We were able to engage with him and get him along to the meal and since then he has had a renewed sense of purpose. Now we see him at the Club almost every day and he has bought a season ticket, so it’s been fantastic to see.
“Being able to offer him a place to come along and enjoy the company of others was so important and the donation from Celtic FC Foundation helped allow us to do that.
“For all the fans who give so generously but may not see the end result of their donation, I can reassure them that their money makes a huge impact on the work we can do on their behalf. From everybody at St. Roch’s, thank you.”
St Roch’s FC Foundation joins Loaves and Fishes, The Invisibles and Glasgow East Women’s Aid as the 2019 Christmas Appeal beneficiaries to have been announced thus far.
Our Appeal aims to honour the founding principles set out when the Club was formed back in 1887, by continuing to help those in our community, who are most in need. We want to help hundreds of local families facing poverty, by giving them the kind of Christmas we all take for granted.
We also want to support pensioners on our doorstep and help out local charities. We can make a massive difference to the lives of children, the homeless, refugees and those living in refuge or facing other challenges.
Christmas is a time to give and share. And the Glasgow Celtic will be there.
To get behind the Christmas Appeal 2019, you can:
– Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
– Donate Online
– Donate via PayPal – www.CelticChristmasAppeal.com
– Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
– Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
– Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and Amazon Smile – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17086
– Contribute via our Christmas Appeal eBay auction which will take place between Thursday, December 5 and Tuesday, December 10.
– Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’ – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17114
– Support our Light Up the Clover initiative on Thursday, November 28 or our match-day bucket collection on Sunday, December 15 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17091
– Come along to Ghirls for Good on Friday, November 29 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/16887
– Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Saturday, November 30. You can register HERE
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.