THE Football for Good Fund beneficiary series continues today, as our attention turns to Salvation Army Parkhead, who have been given a £5,000 donation to support their work.
Established in the 19th century, the Salvation Army is a worldwide organisation that is dedicated to alleviating hardship and empowering the impoverished. Through their unit in Parkhead, the Salvation Army aim to provide support to some of the most vulnerable individuals living within the area.
Recently, Salvation Army Parkhead has ran soup kitchens and food banks twice a week, helping people with mental health issues along with the unemployed, asylum seekers and early released prisoners amongst others.
The Salvation Army’s Major Colin Bradshaw expressed his thanks for the support received, saying: “The money from Celtic FC Foundation has enabled us to buy food and provide a vital service to the local people, at their time of need.
“Since the start of lockdown we’ve been offering hot soup in a take-away cup and bags of food to take away.
“The hot soup and availability for people to chat has meant that people who are feeling suicidal have been able to talk, we have listened and a number of people have told us that being able to come to us and chat has saved their life and the food has kept them alive.
“Local lives have been saved during this lock-down and Celtic FC Foundation have played a vital role in saving those lives.
“On behalf of my team at Parkhead & Shettleston Soup Kitchens and Food Banks and on behalf of the many people each week we help, I want to say a big thank you to Celtic FC Foundation. Your generosity has made a difference and is continuing to make a difference at a time of desperate need.”
Salvation Army Parkhead joins a host of organisations already confirmed as Football for Good Fund beneficiaries, including Help the Homeless, FareShare, Geeza Break, PEEK, Glasgow’s Golden Generation (for the elderly), FARE Scotland, Eric Liddell Centre, Glasgow North-East Foodbank, Birth, Baby and Beyond and NHS staff at Gartnavel Hospitals and the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow.
To register for further details on the Football for Good Fund or any other Celtic FC Foundation activities, please email [email protected] and we will respond to you as soon as we possibly can.
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Take part in our ‘Green Day’ on Sunday, August 2 – details coming soon!
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
11. Get involved in our unique 9-in-a-row nomination fundraiser – details coming soon!
12. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
13. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.