WITH the recent announcement that the Foundation’s Football for Good Fund has risen to over £700,000, we turn our attention to another beneficiary organisation – Loaves and Fishes, who received a donation of £5,000.#
Starting out 30 years ago, Loaves and Fishes stemmed from humble beginnings as a soup kitchen, aiming to help feed the homeless from the back of a van. One of Celtic’s favourite sons, Tommy Burns, was also a regular volunteer with the charity.
They now operate a foodbank in East Kilbride, and throughout the pandemic have focused on helping families and the homeless who are both in desperate need of food and essentials.
Alongside a donation of £5,000, Celtic FC Foundation have also provided 500 bags-for-life to the charity, in partnership with the club’s commercial department.
Denis Curran, Chairman of Loaves and Fishes, spoke about the effect the current coronavirus crisis has had on the organisation. He said: “Before the pandemic we provided a warm meal a few times a week, at Glasgow’s Oasis Cafe, for those living on the streets but we’ve been unable to continue this service.
“We’ve started delivering to families who are shielding or can’t come to the unit and giving out £10 food vouchers to users that would usually come to the Oasis Café. At our foodbank, the number of families needing help has soared. We are about 174% up on weekly numbers so we’re constantly needing food donations.”
Denis added a final message of thanks to the Foundation, and said: “Without the help of Celtic FC Foundation we would be struggling. The Foundation have played a massive part in assisting Loaves and Fishes and we’re very grateful that they continue to assist those in need.”
Since the launch of the Fund and throughout the next six months or so, the Foundation has ensured and will continue to ensure food parcels, basic necessities, hot meals and other critical interventions are available to the growing number of people affected by the ruthlessness of COVID-19.
But we can’t do it alone.
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Get involved in our unique #9IAR challenge HERE
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
11. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
12. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.