AS we continue to support those most in need in our communities, we turn our focus to another of the charity partners to benefit through the Football for Good Fund – Glasgow Afghan United, who have been given £5,000 to support their work.
Glasgow Afghan United is an Afghan community-led organisation seeking to improve the lives of Afghans and the wider ethnic minority communities living in Glasgow by promoting sports, health and wellbeing, social integration and active citizenship activities.
Established in 2004, the charity operates in partnership with local grassroots communities and relevant stakeholders, working to principles of unity, equality, peace and diversity.
Glasgow Afghan United established an emergency response team to help those most affected by the current coronavirus crisis. This has so far included delivering over 600 food parcels to mixed communities across Glasgow and establishing support groups to help individuals and families who feel isolated during the crisis.
Abdul Bostani, Chairperson at Glasgow Afghan United, expressed his thanks for the support received, saying: “The money from Celtic FC Foundation has helped us provide 60 households with essential food supplies. Most of these families are based in deprived areas of Glasgow, with no Halal shops or big supermarkets nearby.
“The support has been extended to 200 people who were in desperate need, including asylum seekers, refugees and the unemployed.
“We at Glasgow Afghan United would like to sincerely thank Celtic FC Foundation for their valuable support to our community. Because of your generosity, we are able to further our mission in bettering the lives of the most vulnerable people across our city. The support means so much to our community and every individual is so grateful for everything you have done for us.”
Through the Football for Good Fund, we have been helping to provide food and essentials to those most likely to be affected by the crisis.
Since the launch of the Fund and throughout the next six months or so, the Foundation has ensured and will continue to ensure food parcels, basic necessities, hot meals and other critical interventions are available to the growing number of people affected by the ruthlessness of COVID-19.
But we can’t do it alone.
To support the Football for Good Fund, you can:
1. Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
2. Donate Online HERE
3. Donate via PayPal HERE
4. Donate via our Facebook page HERE or set up your own Facebook fundraiser
5. Donate in cash – there are collection boxes in Celtic stores
6. Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE
7. Sign up to regular giving through our Walfrid’s Wish initiative HERE
8. Get involved in our unique #9IAR challenge HERE
9. Purchase our 9-in-a-row badge and Glittering Prize print HERE
11. Take part in our online auction – details comings soon!
12. Come up with your own fundraising idea and get in touch with us at [email protected]
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.