With Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal phase of our Football for Good Fund (FFGF) officially underway, over the next few weeks, the Club’s charitable arm will take a closer look at the important work of our partner organisations, hearing more about the difference they hope to make this festive period.
And we begin this year’s series by highlighting the crucial services of local charity, Glasgow Night Shelter for Destitute Asylum Seekers. The organisation offers a lifeline for asylum seekers facing extreme poverty, providing an overnight refuge for individuals legally prevented from supporting themselves during the asylum process and unable to access statutory services.
Like many charities this year, Glasgow Night Shelter’s basic provision has been met with unprecedented challenges and complications following the onset of COVID-19.
Outlining these concerns, Glasgow Night Shelter’s Project Director, Annika Joy, said: “The past eight months has forced a radical change in our service delivery and location, switching from 8pm to 9am accommodation with communal bedrooms, to a 24/7 service that provides destitute asylum seekers with en-suite rooms, hot meals and is COVID-safe.”
Given the need for increased service provision and the associated risk for COVID-19 transmission between service users, Annika emphasised that the protection of destitute asylum seekers is always at the forefront of their minds, adding: “We are putting every effort into making sure the place is COVID-free. We have the shelter cleaned and disinfected on a regular basis, we provide guests and staff with masks, sanitising products as well as self-isolation support for service users.”
In recent years and throughout the COVID-19 crisis, with your generosity, Celtic FC Foundation has continually supported local organisations aiding vulnerable asylum seekers, and Annika emphasised the importance of the Foundation’s contribution: “In winter 2019, Celtic FC Foundation supported us with the additional costs of keeping our vital service open 24/7 during cold days, and when public buildings were shut.
“During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Foundation’s support again enabled us to provide nutritious food for our guests during a period of complex transition.
“On behalf of Glasgow Night Shelter, I want to sincerely thank Celtic FC Foundation for their ongoing generous support. Our charity, 365 days of the year, provides a warm welcome, a warm meal and a warm bed for destitute asylum seekers and refugees – your support is very much appreciated.”
Through the Appeal, we want to help hundreds of local families, giving them the kind of Christmas most of us take for granted. With lots of food on the table and gifts for the kids. Making sure Santa pays a visit on Christmas Eve, despite COVID-19.
We also want to support pensioners on our doorstep, by lending a hand at a difficult time of year. Local charities need our help too. We can make a massive difference to the lives of children, the homeless, refugees and those living in refuge or facing other challenges.
The generosity and compassion of the Celtic Family is truly unrivalled and once again, we are looking for your support, to get behind this Christmas Appeal phase of the FFGF.
We are a Club like no other, and together, we can continue to bring comfort to those who need it most.
To get behind the Appeal, you can:
- Donate online HERE
- . Donate via PayPal HERE
- . Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
- Contribute to our Virtual Toy Drive HERE
- Sign up for our Stay Up for the Champions sponsored event on Friday, December 4 / Saturday, December 5 HERE
- Sign up for our Boogie for Good sponsored event on Friday, December 11 HERE
- Purchase your personalised ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’ HERE
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and AmazonSmile HERE
- Purchase your copy of the stunning Gerard Burns Glittering Prize, the perfect Christmas Gift HERE
- Contribute via our Christmas Appeal eBay auction, featuring shirts from the AC Milan v Celtic match on Thursday, December 3 (with Celtic FC Foundation branding) and Celtic v St Johnstone on Sunday, December 6 (with Christmas Appeal branding). The auction will run from Monday, December 7 – Saturday, December 12.
- Contribute via our Virtual Bucket Collection on Sunday, December 6.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.