OUR spotlight series on this year’s Christmas Appeal beneficiary organisations continues today, as we now focus on the work of Glasgow East Women’s Aid (GEWA). GEWA provide support and assistance to families who live or have lived with the traumatic effects of domestic abuse, to ensure they remain safe within their environments.
In addition, they also offer refuge provision to families who are most at risk and are no longer able be safe at home. GEWA aim to understand every factor that may provoke a woman to return to the family home such as to reclaim children’s toys, personal belongings or even a family pet.
GEWA support these families throughout the process, offering one-to-one counselling, as well as support groups to help recover from their experiences of abuse.
Project and Development Officer at GEWA, Anne Kelly spoke of the difficulties faced by families affected by domestic abuse and expressed her thanks for Celtic FC Foundation’s support.
She said: “Christmas is a time for families, filled with gifts, decorations and hopefully joy. For our families, however, it’s a time of loss and deep regret. Women will stay in the most difficult circumstances just to have some semblance of Christmas for their kids.
“Over the years, Celtic FC Foundation have contributed greatly towards making that journey to a safe place, so much easier. By providing gifts, toys and financial support over the Christmas period, leaving a home can become far less painful for those faced with that decision.
“Try to imagine packing whatever items you can carry into black bags and leaving the home you have always known just before Christmas, not sure where you will find a safe space.
“These woman and children find themselves at the doors of GEWA. But they quickly realise that through the kindness of people, such as those who have supported Celtic FC Foundation’s Christmas Appeal, they actually have everything they could possibly need, to perhaps make it the best Christmas ever.
“In the depths of their sadness, a bright Christmas tree sparkles and it’s often surrounded by gifts they could only have ever dreamt of having. That’s the difference this makes to our service users. With the support offered by Celtic FC Foundation, women can leave behind violence and oppression. It genuinely changes lives.
“To all of your supporters, we would like to say thank you so much. We wish you happiness and a peaceful Christmas.”
Glasgow East Women’s becomes the latest Christmas Appeal beneficiary to be confirmed, joining Loaves and Fishes and The Invisibles.
Our 2019 Christmas Appeal aims to honour the founding principles set out when the Club was formed back in 1887, by continuing to help those in our community, who are most in need. We want to help hundreds of local families facing poverty, by giving them the kind of Christmas we all take for granted.
We also want to support pensioners on our doorstep and help out local charities. We can make a massive difference to the lives of children, the homeless, refugees and those living in refuge or facing other challenges.
Christmas is a time to give and share. And the Glasgow Celtic will be there.
To get behind the Christmas Appeal 2019, you can:
– Donate by Text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
– Donate Online
– Donate via PayPal – www.CelticChristmasAppeal.com
– Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
– Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
– Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and Amazon Smile – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17086
– Contribute via our Christmas Appeal eBay auction which will take place between Thursday, December 5 and Tuesday, December 10.
– Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’ – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17114
– Support our Light Up the Clover initiative on Thursday, November 28 or our match-day bucket collection on Sunday, December 15 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/17091
– Come along to Ghirls for Good on Friday, November 29 – http://www.celticfc.net/news/16887
– Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Saturday, November 30. You can register HERE
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.