On the anniversary of our club’s formation, Celtic FC Foundation hosted their very first Sleep Out event in Sligo on Saturday. Supporters turned up in their numbers to spend the night outdoors, battling the elements – from 10.00pm until 6.00am on Sunday morning.
Through their efforts, the group are on course to raise a magnificent total in the region of £15K for the Christmas Appeal phase of our Football for Good Fund, with this set to be invested directly in Ireland. There is still time to support the Celtic Sleep Out, Sligo team and donations can be made online HERE.
This brand new event was held at Brother Walfrid Park in Ballymote, Co Sligo – the home town of our Founding Father – so this holds huge historical and emotional significance for the Celtic Family.
Participants arrived at 9.00pm for the event briefing and, in a very poignant show of unity and respect, the hardy group then made their way to the Brother Walfrid memorial to pay homage to the man who started our incredible and historic journey back in 1887.
As the participants then returned to Brother Walfrid Park, everyone was in high spirits as we kicked off the next eight-hour period, braving the cold – all for a good cause.
The evening included some special moments, including an impromptu Q&A with former Celt and Player/Manager of Sligo Rovers, Willie McStay, who took part in the Sleep Out with his wife Mary.
We were also joined by the Peatdiggers’ Peter Devers and award-winning country and folk music artist Sina Theil, who brought their guitars and led an array of Celtic favourites over the course of the night.
Despite some challenging conditions faced throughout the night, our participants continued to remain upbeat throughout until the event came to a close at around 6am.
We offer special thanks to our friends at The Association of Irish Celtic Supporters’ Clubs – who brought a very special guest in the form of a replica European Cup – and our wonderful hosts at Ballymote Celtic FC and Ballymote Community Parks, without whose unwavering generosity, advice and assistance, the event wouldn’t have been possible.
We would like to thank all of our Sleep Out participants for their wonderful efforts, as well as everyone who has sponsored them and provided support along the way – they have played a pivotal role in helping to deliver this year’s Christmas Appeal, particularly in Ireland.
We want to give hundreds of families in our communities the Christmas they deserve, making sure there’s food on the table and gifts under the tree.
We also wish to help pensioners, women and children in refuge, the homeless community and refugees – as well as a whole host of others facing poverty and hardship. Charity, and the generosity and compassion of the Celtic family, will always be our past, present and future – it’s our heritage, our responsibility, our lifeblood. Thank you for joining Celtic FC Foundation in making a difference this Christmas – it’s our reason for being. Other ways to support the Christmas Appeal 2021, include:
- Donate by text – text ‘CELTIC’ followed by ‘£1’, ‘£5’ or ‘£10’ to 70085*
- Donate online HERE
- Donate via PayPal HERE
- Donate via Facebook HERE
- Donate in Cash – there are collection boxes located in all Celtic Stores
- Donate by Cheque – payable to ‘Celtic FC Foundation’ and sent to Celtic FC Foundation, Celtic Park, Glasgow G40 3RE.
- Provide support through your Christmas shopping via Give as you Live and AmazonSmile HERE
- Make a donation to receive your ‘Celtic FC Foundation Letter from Santa’– further details to follow.
- Purchase a programme if attending ‘The Tommy Burns Story’ shows from Tuesday, November 9 to Saturday, November 13
- Contribute via our Christmas Appeal Logo Shirt Auction from Wednesday, November 10 to Monday, November 15 – further details to follow
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, Glasgow on Saturday, November 13 HERE
- Come along to the Ghirls for Good on Friday, November 26 HERE
- Sign up for the Celtic Sleep Out, London on Friday, December 3 HERE
- Support our Light Up the Clover initiative on Thursday, December 9 or matchday bucket collection on Sunday, December 12 – to register as a volunteer collector, call 0141 551 4204 or email [email protected]
- Purchase our brand new T-shirt or enter our new Christmas Appeal Prize Draw – further details to follow.
Thank you for your magnificent support.
*Texts will cost the donation amount, plus one standard rate message.